COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information & Recovery Resources
An Important Message from VRMA President Toby Babich
March 18, 2020
Hello, VRMA family. Without question, we have entered uncharted territory, and each of us is scrambling to address an ever growing health crisis while also calming our guests, owners, staff, and attempting to evaluate what the future holds for our industry and individual businesses. The situation would be overwhelming and frightening, if it were not for the fact that we are all in crisis management mode, to all different degrees depending on our unique destinations.
For my part, Breckenridge has essentially “shut down” until April 6th at the earliest, and we are asking our guests to leave or not come if they have upcoming reservations. Some of you may not be in as bad of shape, and many of you may be even worse off. You are all in my thoughts, and no doubt we have a long road ahead of us, full of difficulties and uncertainty. However, rest assured you can expect the the strong leadership of our VRMA staff, board, and committee members to assist our industry with education, information, and insight that will enable each of us to persevere through this extremely impactful situation we are facing.
Recently we have convened a group of subject matter experts to assist in compiling resources, information, and data to be used by those in our industry looking for answers on the best way forward. I would like to thank our “Health and Safety task force” comprised of- Sue Jones, Michelle Williams, Bob Milne, Durk Johnson, and Cliff Johnson for donating their time and energy so we all can we can all benefit from their extensive knowledge to navigate our way to better times.
In the coming weeks our focus will be to provide actionable content on a myriad of different topics through a centralized information hub. Our hope is to provide topical and informative tools that our members can utilize to address the current health crisis, and begin planning the road to recovery.
I have been a VRMA member for 12 years, and a Board member for 6. I have learned along the way in my discussions with hundreds of managers that we are a uniquely strong, determined, and resilient group of people that are always willing to help each other whenever times are tough. Please understand that while we will surely face difficulties within this current situation, that there is no question our individual and collective strength will ensure we persevere and our industry is preserved.
These are truly unprecedented times. We will keep you all posted as developments occur, and please let us know via email of we can support you in any way. Also, as often as possible, take time to be kind to each other, as we all need a bit of kindness during these trying times. Rest assured, we will recover, and each become stronger, wiser, and hopefully a bit more grateful.
All my best, to each of you.
VRMA Health, Safety, & Recovery Task Force
VRMA is currently engaging our newly-established Health, Safety, & Recovery Task Force, which is comprised of multiple board members as well as experts in human resources and the operational sides of our businesses. This group is focusing on two main areas. First, serving as a resource and repository for relevant industry information, providing guidance for running our respective businesses in these unprecedented times, and planning for recovery. Second, as we make decisions regarding upcoming events, they will look at the viability and safety measures we will take to promote health and safety.
VRHP/VRMA Cleaning Guidelines for COVID-19
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Vacation Rental Housekeeping Professionals (VRHP) and the Vacation Rental Management Association (VRMA) are recommending that existing cleaning programs be augmented to include even more rigorous sanitization and disinfection protocols. Learn more about the recommendations here.
The following information and resources are meant to help our members and industry partners navigate the road to recovery. Please check this page often, as content is updated regularly.
If you have a resource to add to this page, please send to email@example.com.
Join the VRMA/VRHP Slack Group
VRMA Gathering: We're All in this Together
In this webinar on May 15, we were joined by industry leaders and influencers who discussed how they've been handling the COVID-19 pandemic.
VRMA Gathering: Crisis Communications: What's Next?
In this webinar on May 8, we were joined by industry experts who helped answer your questions about marketing during and after a crisis.
VRMA Gathering: Financially Navigating COVID-19
In this webinar on May 1, we were joined by 4 industry experts who helped answer your questions about navigating the financial landscape during COVID-19.
VRMA Gathering: Navigating the Regulatory Landscape
In this webinar on April 24, we were joined by 5 industry experts who helped answer your questions about navigating the regulatory landscape during COVID-19.
VRMA Gathering: Housekeeping & Maintenance
In this webinar on Friday, April 17 at 2:00pm Eastern, we were joined by 4 industry experts who helped answer your questions about processes and best practices as it relates to housekeeping and maintenance during COVID-19.
Vacation Rental Safety in the COVID-19 Era
As a professional property manager, you are entrusted with the properties that people stay in. Guests are excited about the location and activities they have planned—but a challenge arises when an emergency happens and the guests find themselves in unfamiliar surroundings. The last thing that needs to happen is for a guest to be disoriented or put in an unsafe situation.
In this webinar, Durk Johnson and Justin Ford discuss items you can do protect both the property and the guests that are occupying the property.
VRMA Town Hall Addressing COVID-19
In this webinar on Friday, April 3 at 1:00pm Eastern, we were joined by 6 industry experts who helped answer your questions about processes and best practices during COVID-19.
- World Health Organization
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- U.S. Travel Association
- PDF: About COVID-19
- PDF: 15 Ways to Slow the Spread
- REPORT: U.S Travel Association Economic Outlook 2020
- PODCAST: Ramzi & Coronavirus with Durk Johnson
- CDC Fact Sheets
- Existing OSHA Standards COVID 19
- General Page for Federal Relief – IRS
- News Relief for Current Month
- COVID-19 Vacation Rental Data
- State Tax Agencies
- IRS Filing and Payment Deadline Extension
- WEBINAR: COVID-19 Resources and Q&A with Industry Experts
- WEB PAGE: Atlantic Vacation Homes COVID-19
- WEB PAGE: Florida VRMA COVID-19
- WEB PAGE: Airtable - COVID-19 Resources Open Source Database
Advocacy and Legislation
- SUMMARY: CARES Act Enacted Into Law in US
- PDF: The Small Business Owner's Guide to the CARES Act
- WEB PAGE: International Economic Recovery
- WEB PAGE: State-by-State Breakdown of Business Closures
- PDF: Business Closure Order Talking Points
- LETTER: COVID-19 Assistance
- Department of Labor Employee Paid Sick Leave Fact Sheets
- WEBINAR: Getting Involved For COVID-19 Recovery
- TEMPLATE: Breckenridge Resort Managers
- MEMO: Coronavirus and Flu Prevention
- PDF: Employer Consideration
- VRHP Best Practices to Keep Staff Safe
- COVID-19 Overview: Prevention and Next Steps
- Interview with Jodi Refosco
- Interview with Toby Babich
- Supply Chain Questions with HD Supply's Richard Wolf
- Thor and Christina Thoresen and the Unique Ways They Are Assisting Staff
- Insights About the Payment Protection Protection with Brooke Pfautz
- PODCAST: Coronavirus & Vacation Rental Cleaning with Durk Johnson
- WEBINAR: COVID-19 Resources - Interview with Christie Gribble
- PDF: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Fighting Products
HR and Employee Resources
- TEMPLATE: Welcome Back Employee Notice
- TEMPLATE: SHRM Notice of Recall
- PDF: SHRM COVID-19 Back to Work Checklist
- PDF: Preparing for Employees to Return
- WEBINAR: Sue Jones' High Level Update on the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- WEBINAR: COVID-19 Resources: Staffing Considerations with Industry Experts
- PDF: The Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Rights
- PRESENTATION: Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- TEMPLATE: Emergency Paid Sick Leave Policy
- WEB PAGE: SHRM (Society for HR Management)
- MEMO: Temporary Telecommuting Arrangements (SHRM)
- MEMO: Temporary Suspension of Nonessential Business Travel (SHRM)
- PDF: COVID-19 FAQ for Employers
- PDF: Emergency Response Act - Employer Responsibilities and Guideline
- PDF: A Scripted Layoff in Q&A Format
- PDF: COVID-19: Ways to Plan, Prepare & Respond
- OUTLINE: Employer Layoff
- TEMPLATE: Notice of Temporary Layoff or Furlough Due to Coronavirus (SHRM)
- TEMPLATE: HR4VR Communicable Diseases Policy (SHRM)
- WEB PAGE: Littler COVID-19 Resources for Employers
- WEB PAGE: Department of Labor
Vendor/Supplier COVID-19 Policies and Updates
How To Give Back
- Premier Vacation Rentals Group- Free Lodging Program for Virus Impacted Families & Individuals
- The Vacation Rental Housekeeper Relief Fund
Submitted by Our Members
- PODCAST: Sarah and T - The Professional Vacation Rental Manager's Podcast
- Lexicon Travel Technologies
- General Information
- Everything Property Managers Need to Know About COVID-19
- How to Protect and Reassure Your Guests During a Health Scare
- Internal Communication
- Cleaning Processes
- VR Safe Harbor
- Beyond Pricing
- REPORT: Coronavirus Causes Boom for Non-Urban STRs
- REPORT: Impact of Coronavirus on Global Short-Term Rental Markets
- InterCoastal Net Designs
- BLOG: How to Approach Marketing During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- DATA: Cancellation Trends
- iGMS: Vacation Rental Software